02 March 2010

My Lappy

You know how when you take something apart, and put it back together, you almost ALWAYS end up having a screw or a nut or bolt laying around extra?

Ya, that happened to me today.

In case you were wondering, I dropped my laptop at work a few weeks ago. It only caused (mostly) cosmetic damage. Everything continued to work, but one hinge was busted and a corner of the lid was pretty mangled as well.

So, I waited as long as I could, (which was when pieces started falling off into my hand) and then went shopping online for parts. No big whoop, right? I've built computers from scratch before. I knew what I needed which was mainly a new lid and front bezel for the screen.

Well, 2 weeks after buying my stuff, I got a package in the mail and everything was only a little banged up after being on the slow boat from China (literally, Hong Kong). I had previously downloaded the service manual so I knew what to do.

I got everything torn apart and found that I needed a mounting bracket for the actual screen. I thought I remembered a piece of that in my hand earlier. Oh well, back online and luckily I found a guy in Texas that had a set so I bought them and got them on Monday.

After what I figure to be a total of four (4) hours over a three day period, I have my computer back together (a la Humpty Dumpty). I'm just glad I still have the know-how with computers. And, it saved me probably 200-300 bucks.

The only thing I couldn't figure out was where the last little screw was from. Oh well, we all need a screw loose at times, right?

4 comments:

Katscratchme said...

And so help me, if you drop it again.... *Emily's head popping*

Trillium said...

I admire your "can-do" approach to your broken computer. It must be a "man thing"!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! Emily's head popping! :D

Yes, it must definately a man thing. Jeremy has this need to get parts and fix everything. I suppose it saves money in the long run.

So how did you drop it? Were you using it as a ski pole?

Jam In Stew said...

I put it in my backpack as I was getting ready to head home from work and put my pack on an unstable surface. Unfortunately, my pack fell about 4 feet to the floor.

As for it being a "man thing", I knew it would probably take just as long if I got it repaired professionally and it cost me ALOT less money. Plus it's just fun to see how it works inside. :D