24 December 2009

Does this count?

Em and I had a discussion this last week. We were talking about how it really seems difficult for this generation to keep a journal.
Go to fullsize image

I can't think of very many of my friends that keep one on a regular basis. I'm always hearing someone say how hard it is to keep going and they always seem to need to catch up. The only person I've ever known to keep one on a consistent basis is my father-in-law. I really am amazed how diligent he's been at it for what, 40 plus years? Whenever I go into his office I look at the volumes he has on his bookshelves.

This made me think of something. Does writing a blog count as keeping a journal? I know a journal is supposed to contain your innermost thoughts and feelings but in a day and age where most people seem to be incapable of "inside thoughts", let alone writing something down in an actual pen and paper form, it seems that blogs just might be the next best thing.

I can count myself as a person who, for some reason, just can't seem to write things down in a journal. I tried for the first couple months of my mission, but fizzled out in spectacular fashion. Even until fairly recently I vowed never to keep a blog because I felt that they were a waste of time. Especially after talking to Em about it this week, my mind has changed a bit.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Katscratchme said...

I think it's a type of journal, it's called a web log (blog) after all.. :)
The benefit of a real journal or diary is that you aren't putting your most personal thoughts and feelings out there for everyone on the planet to read. :P

Anonymous said...

I think blogs totally qualify as journals! I don't keep a journal either...I used to, and then half way through the year I would stop, and then have to "catch up." It drove me nuts. A blog is easier since I don't have to get a hand cramp...
Dad IS really good about his journal...except, have you tried reading them?? It's like trying to decipher runes....that have been exposed to the weather...for 6 billion years.